Tuesday, March 11, 2014

First Kiss

There's a popular viral video right now called, "First Kiss."


In the short film, they ask 20 strangers to have their first kiss, on camera. As one would expect, it begins awkwardly. But then it gets wonderful. Watching these people experience this intimate moment is voyeuristic, sure, but also incredibly warm. Like a real first kiss. It's impossible for this video not to bring up feelings -- likely long buried -- of your own first kiss, or that of your last first kiss.

I had a very strong suspicion that when I went on my first date with my now-husband (aforementioned Queens Boy), that it would be my last first date. I told several people that it would be. Matt probably didn't, because he doesn't say those sorts of things out loud. I do. In fact, that yin and yang is a big part of the reason that we are who we are, both as individuals and as a couple.

Suspecting that January 14, 2011 may be the last night of my single life as I knew it, I was also prepared for the inevitable first kiss. I did the things that you do before you go out on a date with someone you might possibly perhaps probably really like.

When I first opened the door to Matt, he immediately made a move to hug me. I liked that. The kiss would wait until after dinner, but one just knows when that's coming. But, true to what I would later learn is classic Matt, he took me by surprise.

We were in his (now my) car, and had just pulled into the parking lot of the next leg of our date -- arcade games at Dave & Buster's. I'm sure I was mid absolutely hysterical joke and/or witty observation, when he says, "I have a question…" Um, sure, is he going to ask me which game I want to play first? He waited a moment for me to nod my head, only to lean across the seat and precisely execute the very last first kiss. It was warm and delicious, and held every last hope that we each had to put our pasts behind us to start an adventure with the person who would now and always, be our partner.

I was totally right. And have felt all the more right about that date, and that kiss, in the roughly 4,000* kisses since then.

*conservative estimate… yay basic math!

No comments:

Post a Comment